Non-player character (NPC)
- See also: Category:NPCs
A non-player character (NPC) is any character in MapleStory that is not controlled by a player. Their actions and dialogue are generally scripted events that are usually meant to help the player progress through the game.
NPCs mainly offer quests to players, provide functions such as shops or entrances to party quests or allow one to participate in events, though there are a few NPCs that don't have a function in the game.
NPCs are found mostly in towns, and others are located in hunting grounds and in dungeons.
- Main article: Cash Shop
Cash Shop is an in-game store that sells various game items for NX (or Maple Cash in MapleSEA) and Maple Points. Real-life money is used to purchase Nexon Cash or A-Points. Purchasable items include equipment, stores, megaphones, and pets.
The Cash Shop can be accessed by clicking the Cash Shop button on the bottom menu bar in-game.
Death is an event that occurs in MapleStory that turns the player into a ghost, with a gravestone falls from the sky. The player will receive a message, that when accepted will transport them to a safe space, usually back in the nearest town. The player will lose most of their outstanding buffs and be revived with 0 MP and 50 HP, so it is advised to heal after dying. Upon death, the player will lose some experience (10%). Note that it is impossible to reduce the level of the character if he/she dies with less EXP than what is lost.
A player can reduce the amount of EXP lost by increasing their Ambition, with a 0.5% flat reduction every 10 levels (up to a 5% flat reduction), as well as with the Guild Skill Fearless by up to a multiplicative 30% reduction. Beyond this, players can also purchase Safety Charms, which prevent a player from losing EXP at all, from the Cash Shop and/or the NPC Matilda.
Possessing a Buff Freezer allows a player to revive revives the player in the same spot they were in; having one of these is suggested for hard bosses or parties.
Some bosses have a death counter, enabling one to revive in the same location a limited number of times. Effects are different for each death counter, for example, the boss Magnus will begin using his attacks at an infinite range, which all result in an instant death. For Root Abyss bosses, the respective player will not be able to revive until the whole party is defeated or the boss is defeated.
These travel methods are some of the most common forms of transportation.
- Regular Cab in Victoria: Talking to the taxi in Henesys, Perion, Ellinia, Kerning City, Lith Harbor, and the Nautilus allows players to instantly travel to any of the other towns, free of charge. It can also be accessed by clicking the, "Quick Move" button located underneath the mini map when in town, and then selecting the taxi icon.
- Danger Zone Taxi: These taxis are located in several higher level towns. Unlike the Victoria taxi, these taxis take players from town to another map in the area instead of another town. These taxis are also not free, ranging from 15,000 to 45,000 thousand mesos depending on the location.
- Perry The Warp Helper: Perry allows for free travel between Six Path Crossway, Showa Town, Ninja Castle, and Mushroom Shrine. He is located in all four locations.
- Return to Town Scrolls: Using a town return scroll will return a player to the nearest town. These scrolls cost 400 mesos, and can be found in most general/potion stores.
Ship Station Travel
Ships are forms of transportation that can take players from one continent to the next, often with a small fee and short travel time.
- Maple Island Ship: By talking to Vasily in the Maple Island port, explorers can travel from Maple Island to Six Path Crossway for free. Once the player has received the “Maple Return” beginner skill, they can return to the Maple Island port.
- Victoria Island: The stations in the Victoria Tree Platform allow travel to:
- Ereve Station: Talking to Kiriru or Kiru allows travel to:
- Victoria Island through Kiriru for 1,000 mesos. Ride time is 30 seconds.
- Orbis through Kiru for 1,000 mesos. Ride time is 30 seconds.
- Edelstein Station: Talking to Ace in the Edelstein Temporary Airport allows travel to:
- Victoria Island for 800 mesos. Ride time is 30 seconds.
- Orbis for 800 mesos. Ride time is 30 seconds.
- Orbis Station: Talking to Isa the Station Guide allows entry into several stations, these stations are:
- Victoria island through Rini for free. Ride time is 30 seconds.
- Ludibrium through Sunny for 5,000 mesos. Ride time is 60 seconds.
- Leafre through Ramini for free. Ride time is 60 seconds.
- Mu Lung through Crane for 1,500 mesos. Ride time is 30 seconds.
- Ariant through Geras for free. Ride time is 60 seconds.
- Ereve through Kiru for 1,000 mesos. Ride time is 30 seconds.
- Edelstein through Ace for 800 mesos. Ride time is 30 seconds.
- Lith Harbor: Lith Harbor allows travel to Rien, and Slumbering Dragon Island (Evan only)
- Rien through Puro for 800 mesos. Ride time is 60 seconds.
- Slumbering Dragon Island through Olaf for free. Ride time is 15 minutes.
- Leafre Portal: By using a magic seed, one can use one of the portals in the Minar Forest : West Border map in Leafre, or in the Green Tree Trunk map in Ellinia to instantly travel between them.
Weddings no longer require series of quests, and are instead done in an area known as New Wedding Hall (previously just called Amoria). Players will receive an Eternal Wedding Ring ring after their ceremony as proof of marriage, but they have the option to create a second ring through Wedding Commemorations.
New Wedding Hall can be accessed through most major towns via NPC Nana K.
Brides, grooms, and guests will receive a temporary buff after the ceremony is complete. One guest will be chosen at random to receive an especially potent buff.
In order to propose, player(s) need to purchase a House Wedding Ticket from the Cash Shop. The House Wedding Ticket is 5,000 NX on regular servers, or 86,000,000 meso on Reboot. From there, they are to enter the hall of their choice (Vegas, Japan, China) and double click the ticket to initiate the ceremony.
Up to six guests may attend a wedding, but no one is allowed to exit until the ceremony is over. A wedding arch will appear, and players are required to double-click in order to attend.
After 100 days have passed, players will receive a quest from Vivian under the white lightbulb titled "[Wedding] Wedding Commemoration." The quest is marked based on the number of days the two characters have been married, and can be done up to 10 times (1000 days). Players will receive an upgradeable Wedding Commemoration Ring as a reward.
Commitments of Love cost 4,000 NX, regardless of server.
Divorce can be done through Pila Present at New Wedding Hall. Players who have chosen to divorce cannot participate in Wedding Commemorations.