- For the update, see MapleStory: ARK.
Early Military Years
Prior to the story, Ark was a military student under the service of the High Flora military and Gerand Darmoor. During his time in the academy, he befriended Albaire. Both of them have graduated from the academy and Ark was soon promoted to second lieutenant. He and Albaire swore to protect each other, no matter what had happened.
After countless wars, Ark saw the flaws within the race and military, realizing that the High Flora were massacring various races in Grandis, peace being an excuse for war. Disgusted by this fact, he spoke up to General Brigadier Limbo against it. Suspecting Ark of betrayal, and for his hesitation in the last battle, Limbo captures him and makes Ark the subject of a Specter ritual as punishment for his betrayal. Ark's soul was almost consumed, but Albaire had interrupted the ritual, keeping true to their promise to "always protect each other". Ark passed out shortly after, falling into a deep slumber.
After a few hundred years, Ark comes to on the planet of Verdel, not remembering anything about his past, and having the arm of a specter. A passerby caravan captures and ties him up, mistaking him for a monster. Ark tells them who he is and tries to assure them that he isn't an enemy, but the entire caravan argues about whether to believe him or not. When it appeared that he was untrusted, the caravan is attacked by a group of specters. The nervous leader of the caravan, Zippy, unties him and after they escape, immediately notices that Mar is missing. Seeing a chance to earn the caravan's trust, Ark goes back to rescue Mar. However, after fighting a few waves of specters, a dark and powerful energy consumed Ark, causing him to destroy a bunch of specters and making him pass out shortly.
Recovering from his specter attack a few days later, Ark eventually helped the caravan in its survival as he wanted off the planet as badly as they did. He later followed Mar out of the shelter to keep an eye on him, and had granted Mar's request to retrieve some shiny stones. Mar eventually showed Ark a small crystal-like shrine. Seeing this object causes Ark's memories to begin triggering about his past, the first memory being that he and Albaire were needed in the High Flora's western war front base.
After getting over this, Ark reported to Zippy that the shrine they found was actually an airship, and could be used to get off the planet if they found its power sources. Zippy had immediately formed a search party consisting of Ark, Ferret, Salvo, and two other caravaners to search for the sources.
As soon as they found all three power sources however, the group gets attacked by more specters. Ark has Ferret split up from the group to get the power sources back to the caravan while the others buy time. After a long battle, the dark energy inside him overtakes Ark once more. The powerful aura reveals itself as a specter to Ark, promising its own power to save his friends. Ark accepts it, but tells the specter that he can make the decisions, not the specter itself.
Using his skills and the specter's power, Ark manages to buy even more time, but then out of nowhere, Albaire (now a colonel) shows up and surprisingly attacks Ark. Albaire told Ark that he hoped saving him would make him be grateful and return to the High Floras, but seeing Ark continuing to help the barbarians he has pitied changed his mind and that it wouldn't matter anymore. Getting annoyed by the High Flora's ways, Ark swears to protect his new friends and attacks Albaire, but was easily defeated by Albaire (despite using his specter powers) and was left behind. Ark suffers more flashbacks and eventually passes out from his injuries.
Arriving in the Savage Terminal
Awakening once again, he finds himself with the caravan in the Savage Terminal, making him realize they've escaped the desert wasteland. After resting up a bit, he helps the caravan supply up once again. Ark tells them he has to search for more lost memories and parts with them on good terms, receiving a communication device to get in contact with either Zippy, Ferret, Salvo, or Mar after a while.
While searching for more answers, he finds Coney getting attacked by a few gangsters, but he defends him and chases them away. After asking about the Grandis War and High Flora, Cadena shows up, sensing the specter energy inside of Ark and almost attacks him, but Coney calms her down after saying Ark saved her. Ark was told about the ongoing war between the Nova and Magnus in Pantheon and Heliseum in their conversation, and heads there.
Transporting to Maple World
Arriving in Pantheon, Ark finds himself extremely weakened and passes out, and is found by Kyle, the current Kaiser. After being dragged out of the barrier protecting the Nova town, the Nova council realize that he is a half specter and was weakened by the barrier, but learned that Magnus had nothing to do with him. Beldar is distrustful however after Ark reveals he is a former High Flora soldier turned traitor. Kaiser and Cartalion manage to calm him down, but Beldar swears to keep an eye on him and leaves. After asking a few questions, Ark is told by Kaiser to go to the Interdimensional Dimension Portal and travel to Maple World. Now having arrived in the new dimension and world, Ark continues to search for his past and also his fight against the High Flora, all the while keeping the beast within at bay.
- Ark is the second playable character to have heterochromia. The first being Luminous.
- Interestingly, his Flora/Specter modes are similar to Luminous' Light/Dark system (but acts like Buccaneer's Energy Charge).
- Ark is the tenth class who is not a human, succeeding Mercedes, the Demon, Kaiser, Angelic Buster, Xenon, Zero, Beast Tamer, Cadena, and Illium.
- There is a minor inconsistency while playing Ark. Although his Specter claw and energy is canonically on his left arm, it can appear on his right arm when looking right, and vice versa. This was most likely intentional to prevent more sprite work involving the character.
- A scene in the final act of Labyrinth of Suffering involves the adversary (your character) in a void of darkness, slowly recovering their memories. The adversary, whose morale and strength are almost completely gone at this point, talks to a voice (that depends on your class) which followed them throughout the Labyrinth, providing the motivation for the adversary to defeat Hilla once and for all. When playing as Ark, the voice that speaks to Ark is the Specter within him, offering to take control, but Ark declines.
- A scene in the final act of Limina involves the adversary (your character) having died after defeating the Black Mage. The adversary ends up in the Erda Flow, serving as the afterlife, where the White Mage thanks you for putting an end to the battle. After the conversation, he gives you a unique title based on your class. The title he gives to Ark is "Mystic of a Distant World" (shared with Illium).
- Also provides the voice(s) of Seamus, Milo, Cassius, Benedict, Kinesis (Male), Fang (Male), Specter (Male), and Lara (Male).
- Also provides the voice(s) of Pink Bean, Fang (Female), and Specter (Female).
- 【プレスリリース】『メイプルストーリー』、新職業「アーク（CV：福山潤/長久友紀）」を実装！ PVでVTuberアメノセイの新曲『Clock』とタイアップ
|Characters and Skills|
|Job and Skills (Click on icon for skills)|
Beginner Link Skills
|Child of God|